Table Tennis, also known as Ping Pong is one of the most popular sports in the world. It is a sport in which two or four players hit a lightweight ball back and forth over a net on a hard table using table tennis rackets. Except for the initial serve, players must allow the ball played toward them only one bounce on their side of the table and must return it so that it bounces on the opposite side. Points are scored when a player fails to return the ball within the rules. Play is often fast and demands quick reactions. Spinning of the ball alters its trajectory and limits an opponents’ options giving the hitter an advantage.
Fun fact -Table tennis was banned in the Soviet Union from 1930 to 1950 as the sport was believed to be harmful to the eyes
Fun fact - Of the 4 Olympic medals Singapore has won so far, three were from table tennis events at the games.
A game is won by the player who first scores 11 points unless both players score 10 points. Should that occur, then the game shall be won by the first player that gains a 2 point lead. A match shall consist of the best of any odd number of games, Matches are typically played to the best of five or seven games.
A player scores a point if:
- His opponent fails to deliver a good service good service
- His opponent fails to make a return on the ball
- His opponent hits a ball that passes over his end line without having touched his court
- His opponent obstructs the ball i.e. if he, or anything he wears or carries, touches the ball in play when it is above or traveling toward the playing surface and has not passed beyond his end line
- If his opponent, or anything his opponent wears or carries causes the playing surface to shift
- If his opponent, or anything his opponent wears or carries, comes in contact with the net assembly
If his opponent's free hand comes into contact with the playing surface
Try out Table Tennis today!
Here are a few tips to get you started.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Breathable T-shirt, dri-Fit shirt tank top or singlet (Avoid long sleeve shirts as it may interfere with your stroke or obstruct your opponent’s view of the ball when you are serving)
- Pair of sports shorts / skorts for ladies
- Cushion socks are recommended
Pair of soft-soled, non-marking tennis shoes only
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
- Table Tennis Racket
Table Tennis Balls
ADDITIONAL ITEMS YOU MIGHT NEED
- Table Tennis Shoes